Troubleshooting Using Passive mode
1. If you are having trouble connecting via FTP and you have the option to enable passive mode, please try doing so. Passive mode is a security-related setting, and if you are behind a firewall, you may need to use it. If you ever get stuck with connecting for whatever reason, please do not hesitate to contact tech support.
2. Your firewall could be blocking it.
3. Ensure you have the IP in your welcome email for the hostname. (only the numbers don't add FTP, www or anything else.)
4. Ensure your username and password is correct.
5. Some FTP accounts require you state a file path to connect. Your path would be /home/putYOURusernamehere/public_html